- Contact Us
Have you ever made too much rice? or you had Chinese food for dinner and had rice left over that you didn’t want to throw out? With the cost of groceries always on the rise, every little bit helps so it’s hard to see food go to waste. There are a number of things you can do next time so you don’t have to toss leftover rice into the trash.
1. Rice Pudding - One of the most popular uses for leftover rice is to make rice pudding. You’re already ahead of the game with the rice already prepared and chilled. In a sauce pan, add 2 cups of your leftover rice, 3 cups of milk, cup of sugar and a teaspoon of cinnamon. Bring this to a boil then add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1/c cup of raisins. Let simmer on the stove for 30-45 minutes your house will smell delicious! Serves 4 -6.
2. Rice Balls - Italian cooks use their leftover rice in a dish called Arancini’s rice balls. Take your chilled rice and put it in a bowl, add an egg or two, depending on how much rice you have, then add salt and pepper to taste. Roll the mixture into a ball and if you like, add a small cube of mozzarella or sausage and just push it right into the center. Roll the rice balls in bread crumbs and then drop them into a deep fryer that has been filled with vegetable oil. Serve with a side of tomato sauce.
3. Quiche - You can easily substitute the crust for a quiche with leftover rice. Just add an egg or two to your rice, season with salt and pepper, and then create the ‘crust’ in a greased pie dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, then add your quiche ingredients and bake for 20 minutes more until set.
4. Soup - If you’ve got a favourite soup recipe, instead of noodles, why not add leftover rice’ If you’d like to put a quick pot of soup together, all you need is a large can of chicken broth, 1 onion cut into quarters, chopped carrots and celery, and any other vegetables you may have in your fridge or freezer. Heat to a boil, then add your rice and let it simmer on your stove until you’re ready for dinner.
5. Fried Rice - Chilled leftover rice can easily be turned into a quick and easy lunch or dinner. To your rice add chopped scallions, soy sauce and 1 scrambled egg. Add your choice of chicken, beef or shrimp.
Remember, you can always just re-heat your leftover rice and use it as a side dish for lunch or dinner. If you have a lot of rice, and you want to try any of these ideas at a later date, you can actually freeze the rice; just make sure to do it right away.
Sushi Machine Sold: 1203 as of 11/Nov/2011
Mon 15th - Thu 18th September 2014